My next little project is only a minor one, but it should be a bit of fun and fingers crossed! it should look really good!
The plan is to mount the little D6 that I have received on a medium bit of wood. Then build a small kind of shed around it and use the appropriate products to make it and its surroundings look rustic and authentic.
I am still researching int possible materials but I will build the shed out of wood first then cover it in stone brick on render im not sure yet
brick it then this may do:
and the rooftiles from here:
It would be nice to put some windows in the sides of the shed position by the piston and the flywheel etc.. but again I am still pondering. I have found this site to be a great selection of windows.
I will buy a sheet of textured grass paper for the outside area
and decorate it with trees and bushes etc..
The shed construction will be simple but should I keep the front of the shed totally open (the part where the boiler is facing you) or should I put a wall in but hinge it so once the engine is running I can close it?
Hopefully there wont be any technical problems with this one!
I got some wood and some Balsa wood, and cut it to size. I hope to make the windows tommorow and get some more wood for the roof of the shed.
I cut some windows out of my wood ready to be covered in the brick paper. The ngine is also mounted on a base.
I have made a door!
I got some hinges from the model shop too. When I said small hinges the guy took it to the extreme
I dropped one in my kitchen can you find it? I cant!
The door is now hinged.
I need a light for the inside as it looks like this with a wooden board over the top! pitch black even in a well lit room!
I will buy a light like this but sadly It will have to be battery powered as I don't think the engine will cope with the load!!!
No more construction until the weekend now! I need a few evenings off
The building is now finished!
I had to do a bit of a design chjange though as there was no way to make the front wall hinge without having a gap in the side. This did not look very nice or realistic. so I made the roof detachable
I will defiantly need a light in there!
Just the landspacing on the outside and a lamp to go! I shall order them and fit em in the week
I installed the lights on the house and I am just waiting on some grass now!
I am going to remove the Wilesco D6 out of the house I may sell it or I may keep it I just need to check how much everything is going to cost before I decide.
I am going to replace the D6 with a custom built KMV steam engine. the engine has a vertical boiler which will be placed outside the shed on the left hand side.
A steam pipe will go through the wall to the engine itself I'm not sure whether to get a regulator for it or not though one would be nice.
the engine will be hooked up to a line shaft on the ceiling which will power two accessories that are placed next to the engine.
I plan to re wire the lighting as I'm not happy with it and put two batteries in instead of just one.
I would also like to put some floor covering inside I was thinking of black and white tiles such as these:
or maybe some flagstone?
here is the design of the engine:
I got some scrap wood today. It should be enough!
I Built the coal bunker it just needs some paint now and some coal!
I also gutted out the electrics so I can fit another battery to make the lights brighter.
Below are some pictures:
Scrap wood in the shed
The electrics being taken out
The coal bunker next to the house it needs some smoothing out and but its getting there
I sorted the lights out and installed another battery and neatened it up it now gives much better and brighter light.
I was planning on building a small workbench to go inside but I have decided that the shed is too small for it when I have to cram an engine and two accessories inside.
Lot of things arrived yesterday for this build, Tiles, elbows, pipe and tools I got round to fitting some of them today.
And the door:
I also coated the wooden bits in some varnish they look more rustic now.
All of the pipework is done and the engine runs here are some pictures and a quick video:
I installed the lineshaft and sorted the drive bands. It all works and will put a video up when I get a chance.
I've been struggling with getting this one going.. I had to make a vaporising burner from scratch to pump out more heat to make more steam.
The engine drives the workshop for 30 second periods. It has no regulator so it just uses all the steam in one go. So I need to get a regulator soonish.
I also finished painting some tools and the coalbunker is now filled with coal and in position
see pictures and a video bellow: